Saturday, December 28, 2024

Hiking in Borneo

Full album on Flickr: Borneo

20241231_102112
Rainforest on the slopes of Mt Kinabalu.

20241229_063504 20241229_064439
An incredible number of moth species took shelter under a roof at the hotel during bad weather. See the full album for some more.

20241229_063728
I don't think I'd ever seen a leaf insect in the wild before. Also sheltering at the hotel from the bad weather.

20241228_120636
Mt Kinabalu has the highest concentration of orchid species of anywhere in the world.

20241230_073554
A tree snake.

20250103_105711
An exceptionally large and beautifully coloured butterfly.

20241231_090546 20241228_141407
In the tropics, the high rainfall and year round warm temperatures have allowed life to become more elaborate. We have assassin bugs in Australia, but I've never seen a species this large or colourful. They use the spear on their noses to impale insects. This one has impaled an unfortunate beetle.

No comments:

Post a Comment